Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hand Made Carving Knife

I have wanted to do this for a while but was having a bit of trouble deciding where to get the steel for the knife.  I did not want to spend a lot of time and money tempering steel and I wanted stainless.  On a whim while in a local dollar store.  I had gone there to buy glass stones for some potted plants.  They are seriously cheaper there.  We use them to put in the plants to keep the cats from playing in the dirt.  But, back to the point.  I found they stocked stainless steak knives  4 for just a dollar.  I figured that for a dollar I could not go wrong.  So with my prize in hand I went home and took off the plastic handle and lo and behold I had the perfect blank for what I wanted.  Some shaping with a slow speed grinder and my knife sharpener and I had the profile that I wanted.  I then super glued the blade between two scrap pieces of mesquite.  Once it was dry a few minutes with the sander then the buffer and I had my knife. 

One of the unused knifes is going to be converted to a letter opener  I will post at a later date that project.



The top knife is a German Made Carving knife retailing for about 35 dollars.  The bottom is my knife less the hour or so I spent making it costing 75 cents in materials.

I have a couple of other profiles I want to try and will post the results when I am done.

Go make some wood chips.

Bruce
2/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment