Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Carving Station






About a year ago I convinced my wife to turn our office into a craft room and move our office into one of the guest bedrooms.  Our house is about 2400 sq feet but it is not the best arrangement but we bought it for the area and the neighborhood.  While it was new when we bought it 9 years ago we have slowly been improving it and replacing most of the builders installations.  This update has turned out to be very timely as we are now suffering through an extremely hot summer.  Having a place inside to sit and carve, read of do other crafts is great.  My carving area is a rotary cutting mat some tool totes to hold my knives and a small shop vac.  Pretty straight forward but comfortable and air conditioned.  While I have the power carvers I don't use them much.  I tend to stay with my knives and a small assortment of chisels.




The set of chisel's on the left is a Power Carve set from Woodcraft.  The set at the back is from Grizzly Tools and the ones in the pouch are the expensive ones and are made by Flexcut.  Since I have all the equipment to sharpen my chisels to my liking I have not spent a lot of money on them.  The tools from Flexcut are the exception but they are scorps and are difficult to sharpen so you want a set that comes very sharp and then keep them that way.


These are the knives I do the majority of the work with.  The one on the left is a folding knife by Boker and the most expensive of the bunch the one on the right is a knife that I made from an old steak knife and a piece of mesquite.  Most of my knives are Flex cut with Two German made knives rounding out the field.  I have tried some others but find that these hold their edge the best.

Go make some wood chips

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment